Essential Camera Skills
Knowing the essentials is key to taking creative control vs. letting the camera do it for you (in auto mode). Once you complete this section you’ll be able to shoot in manual mode… which will give you full creative control.
Get to know your camera…
- Getting to know the basics of your camera
- Focusing Modes – which ones to use and why
- Shooting Modes – which ones to use and why
- Drive Modes – when and why to use which ones
- Quality Modes – what they are and my recommend mode
- Metering Modes – the basics (explained in detail in the Exposure section)
- White Balance – what it is and my recommendation
Get to know your photography lenses…
- New vs. Old – should you buy new or used? Find out.
- Off Brand vs. Name Brand – should you buy name brand or Sigma, Tamron, etc..? Find out.
- Parts of lenses – the different parts of your lens
- Focal length – learn what it is and how to use to for better photos
- When to use which lens – learn to use which focal length when
- Cropped sensor – learn what it is and how to determine which lens to buy
- Types of lenses – learn the different types of lenses
- Prime lenses – learn why this is my favorite type of lens and why you should have 1 or 2 or 3.
- Zoom lenses – learn about the different types of zoom lenses
- Macro lenses – learn which one you should buy and why
- Fisheye lenses – learn why I returned this lens
- Tilt/Shift lenses – learn how to use this lens for creativity and/or for architecture
- Lens Baby lenses – learn about this cool, creative lens option
Master your camera settings to ditch auto & shoot manually…
- Learn the exposure triangle and the missing element
- Master aperture for full creative control
- Master shutter speed for another creative option
- Truly understand and master ISO for achieving your creative vision
- Understand exposure and why it’s important to nail in-camera
- Learn 2 analogies (better than the exposure triangle) to help you master the 3 camera settings to shoot manually
- Learn a built-in (in your camera) secret tool to help you shoot manually and nail your exposure in-camera
- Learn about the exposure value and how to use for perfect exposures
Let There be Light
The most important key to any photo is, well, Light. Without it, you’d be unable to capture your scene/subject. Once you’ve completed this section you’ll know the 3 behaviors of light, the 4 characteristics of light, the color of light, and much more. All of which will help you set the mood and tell a story with your artwork.
Master & understand light…
- What is light & where does it come from
- Do you really know what light is?
- Visible light spectrum
- How your eyes see things and how they have color
- How your eyes see light vs. your camera
- The 3 behaviors of light
- Tones & dynamic ranges
- HDR photography basics
- Understand the 4 types of contrast
- Learn the 4 characteristics of light
We’ve defined 10 different composition styles to make the process of learning to “compose” much easier. You’ll also learn 3 more classic techniques for taking better photos. Plus, dozens of photo examples, tips, and pro techniques provided throughout this section.
- Learn what composition is and means
- Learn what the “rule of thirds” is and how to use it for better compositions
- Learn the different elements that help with composition
- Aspect Ratio essentials for better photos
- Learn the 7 “Ingredients” of Composition
- and much more